The Best Way to Prevent Drug-Related Deaths At EDM Festivals
With summer festival season just around the corner, EDM fans are gearing up for another summer of awesome festival experiences. But sadly, the shadow of drug-related deaths and hospitalizations hangs over the festival scene. If the EDM community is serious about addressing and preventing drug-related deaths and injuries, we need to embrace harm reduction - and support the organizations that bring harm-reduction services and education to our events.
Of course we all know that abstinence is the safest approach to drugs - but history makes it clear that some people will choose to use drugs, no matter who is telling them not to. So we believe that harm-reduction is the most compassionate and effective way to help those who choose to use stay as safe as possible.
So we want to show our support for DanceSafe, and for the great work they do. In case you don't know, DanceSafe is a non-profit organization that provides vital harm reduction services to electronic music events across North America. They have been a leading advocate for life-saving harm reduction in the EDM community since 1998. This is a short list of what DanceSafe does, from their site.
- Provide safe spaces to engage in conversations about health, drug use, and personal safety
- Provide free water and electrolytes to prevent dehydration and heatstroke;
- Provide free safe sex tools to avoid unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STIs;
- Provide free ear plugs to prevent hearing loss;
- Provide honest, fact-based, unbiased information on drug effects and potential harms to empower users to make informed decisions;
- Offer a nonjudgmental first-point of contact to risky or challenging situations;
- Offer drug checking services to prevent overdose and death; and
- Work with promoters and local stakeholders to advocate for safety first approaches.
They are perhaps best known for their work with adulterant-testing, giving event attendees the opportunity to test drugs to identify what is really in them.
They are hosting a fundraiser on April 10th, in Denver, CO at The Church nightclub. The first annual DanceSafe FundRager will feature a day of educational talks, panels, and workshops, followed by a night of great music. If you are in Colorado, we encourage you to check it out - and if not, then we encourage you to donate anyway, to support the life-saving work they do. Full details for the event can be found by clicking the image below.