SPOTLIGHT TRACK

Wonder Why

KREACH

0:00 / 4:27

Follow

KREACH

Spotlight
Your Track
News by
Damien Gayle

Teenager who died at Fabric nightclub took MDMA, inquest told



Summary/Commentary:

The young man who suffered a fatal overdose this past summer at London's fabric nightclub died after taking MDMA according to toxicology reports.

This article originally appeared on The Guardian

A teenager whose death almost led to the permanent closure of one of London’s most popular nightclubs was poisoned by a high dose of the drug MDMA, an inquest has heard.

Jack Crossley, 18, had 2.2 micrograms of the drug in every millilitre of his blood – more than enough for a fatal reaction – when he died on 6 August 2016 after visiting Fabric in Farringdon, a toxicology report found. Paramedics took him to Royal London hospital where he died after suffering a fatal cardiac arrest .

He was the second teenager to die within six weeks after visiting Fabric. The last time Crossley and his friends had visited the club was the night that Ryan Browne, also 18, collapsed and died after taking MDMA there, the inquest was told.

His death led to the club losing its licence after an application by the Metropolitan police. It will reopen this weekend after a high-profile campaign backed by some of the biggest names in dance music.

Poplar coroner’s court heard how Crossley and two friends had spent the night dancing and taking crystal MDMA that had been obtained by Crossley from a friend in his home town of Worcester Park, Surrey.

Josh Green, Crossley’s friend, told the court how they had smuggled the drugs into Fabric by concealing them in their underwear. He said they had dosed themselves throughout the night, starting around midnight with quantities wrapped in cigarette rolling papers, then swallowed.

“We kept doing that every now and then, and then after that we had run out at a certain point,” Green said. “I felt personally myself [that] it should be fine and we didn’t need any more that night.”

The court heard, however, that Crossley was offered a chance to buy more. Joe Ryan, who was also with Crossley, said: “Someone approached Jack while we was at the bar and said ‘do you want any more?’ Jack asked me and Josh; I said yes.

It was as the group decided to leave the club at about 5.30am that a security guard noticed that Crossley, who was being helped up the stairs by Ryan and Green, appeared to be unwell.

In a statement, Caroline Smith, a paramedic working for Fabric, said a doorman had led Crossley into the club’s medical bay at 5.28am. She said she read his pulse at 190BPM, well above what she would expect even for someone who had been drinking or even taken ecstasy.

“I was very concerned at Jack’s appearance together with his very high heart rate,” Smith said. “I said … this needed to go in now, meaning we needed to get an ambulance.”

...

Read the full story by Damien Gayle at The Guardian





Tags : Fabric The Guardian

Comments