Faster Horses Festival in Lenawee County, Michigan ended in tragedy for four attendees over the weekend. 

First responders were called to the scene of the three-day music and camping festival by a concerned friend of one man in his early twenties. After arriving, the emergency responders entered the man's camping trailer, which was being shared amongst a group of five attendees, all of whom were unconscious. 

Three of the attendees were pronounced dead at the scene and the remaining two were transported to a nearby hospital in critical condition. The cause is believed to be acute carbon monoxide poisoning. The suspected catalyst is a generator that may have been in close proximity to the camper.

Richie Mays II, 20 (left) and Kole Sova, 19 (right), were pronounced dead at after being found unresponsive at the Faster Horses music festival.

Richie Mays II, 20 (left) and Kole Sova, 19 (right), were pronounced dead at after being found unresponsive at the Faster Horses music festival.

Recommended Articles

neon.f0a75b09

The Chainsmokers, Disclosure, More Back Audius In $5 Million Funding Round

The creator economy is throwing their weight behind music's decentralized future.

ofenbach

EDM.com Playlist Picks: Ofenbach, Steve Aoki, AREA21 and More [9/17/21]

New major releases include tracks from AC Slater, William Black and Apashe and more.

Walker & Royce

Renowned House Music Duo Walker & Royce Launch Record Label, Rules Don't Apply

The imprint's inaugural release is Dances With White Girls' single “Skinny Dipping.”

"It's absolutely tragic," said Lenawee County Sheriff Troy Bevier. "And we would caution anybody to make sure if they are using a generator—if it's camping or if your power goes out—it is in a well-ventilated area."

According to USA Today, Faster Horses does permit the use of generators on campgrounds, but includes a warning.

"Campsites are very close together, so we request that all Festival campers be considerate of their camping neighbors when utilizing a generator," the festival's guidelines read. "To avoid excessive amounts of carbon monoxide and noise, please 'pipe up' internal generators. This will allow the exhaust to be released above the RV and not into your neighbors' camping area."

Separately, a fourth casualty was recorded in relation to the Michigan music festival. Law enforcement is seeking assistance in identifying a man last seen with the victim, Melissa Donna Havens, whose body was found on the camp grounds Saturday. The Detroit News reports the subject is described as a man in his thirties with short black hair, a short beard, and wearing a gray hoodie.

As a camping safety precaution it is recommended attendees carry a portable carbon monoxide detector on-hand to mitigate the risk of contamination. 

Related

vista-del-lago-dal-lato

Man Found Dead In Lake Following Illicit Rave In Italy

The 24-year-old man dove into Lake Mezzano on Sunday night and reportedly drowned.

General

Illicit Rave In Norway Results In 27 Poisoned from Carbon Monoxide

A dangerous underground rave in Oslo has become the latest cautionary tale for those attempting to hold unsanctioned events.

Matt Eastwood, who was found dead after attending the 2020 edition of Forbidden Kingdom Music Festival.

Missing Forbidden Kingdom Attendee Found Dead at 34

Matt Eastwood of Eustis, Florida had gone missing after the festival drew to a close.

Imagine Music Festival

Imagine Music Festival Attendee Dead after Tasing by Multiple Police Officers

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into the 24-year-old's death.

fyre festival

Class Action Fyre Festival Suit Reaches $2 Million Settlement for Attendees

277 more victims of Fyre Festival have now scored a victory.

Bonnaroo Promo Photo

Bonnaroo Attendee Passes Away

A man was found dead at Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.

1570246850347

At Least Four Attendees of Auckland's Listen In Land in Hospital

Listen In faced challenges as it opened up to attendees over the weekend.